“A dapper, well-dressed bastard with an explosive personality!”
After extensive R&D, I’m proud to offer the Secret Agent Amplifier from Pierce Custom Instruments! This powerful grab-and-go combo brings the best Fender tones of the 1960s together in one box.
The circuit starts with the Fender 6G2 Brownface Princeton – including the hallowed bias-vary tremolo from that era! – and adds in Blackface-styled reverb. Tone is then refined to tighten up the bass response, create a bit more clean headroom and add a Dwell control for additional tone shaping over the reverb signal.
Everything is handwired on fiberglass eyelet board with quality components. I use CTS pots and dual-covered wire (cloth over insulation) so these amps are built to withstand a gig at Bob’s Country Bunker. This amp is built with vintage-spec carbon comp resistors in the signal path, and all the resistors in the power circuit are metal film for durability.
Output is around 14W into a 12″ speaker with a cabinet that’s slightly larger than a Princeton or Blues Junior, and it sports a full-size 17″ reverb tank. The speaker is a Weber 12F150, which is a great pairing for this circuit and adds a bit of volume over Alnico options, and it can also be built around a 10″ speaker if you prefer the attack and response of the smaller cone.
The tone is incredible. Cleans are warm and full, and it winds up into overdrive beautifully. The uncluttered signal path of the 6G2 perfectly straddles the mid-heavy Tweeds and sparkling Blackface clean. It responds beautifully to your guitar’s volume knob and your pick attack, and it will get flat-out mean when you cut it loose. Throwing a clean boost in front of it makes things even more fun, goosing the preamp into a tighter sound with more single-note definition.
The reverb is the ultimate addition. There’s plenty of sproing on tap, but I’ve added the Dwell control lets you pull things back into a more tasteful space that’s closer to a room/hall reverb than the typical Fender sound.
And the tremolo? Oh, the tremolo… I’ve owned the pedals that try to replicate this sound, and let me tell you that “try” is the operative word. This tremolo is not-to-be-believed. It makes Blackface trem sound like an on/off switch – Pure Duane Eddy, and I’ve wired it with plenty of sweep on both Speed and Depth controls to get whatever version of vibe or seasickness your ear desires.
For the cosmetics, I drew inspiration from the “Tuxedo” editions that existed between the Brownface and Blackface eras. I’ve always thought the Tuxedo 6G2 Princetons were handsome bastards, so the Secret Agent sports lacquered black tweed with wheat grill cloth, Cream knobs and a black leather handle.
It’s suave, smooth and sophisticated… Until you give it a dirty look! Wind up the Volume control and it turns into a mean bastard that packs a wallop!
- Rectifier: 5U4GB
- Power Tubes: 6V6GT x 2
- Preamps: 12AX7
- Reverb Driver: 12AT7
- Phase Inverter: 12DW7
- 20″ wide X 18.25″ high X 9.5″ deep
- Approximately 35 pounds w/ a 12″ speaker
Stock Options (No additional charge)
- Signal Resistors: Carbon comp or carbon film
- Cabinet: Black tweed w/ wheat grill, brown tweed w/ wheat grill or blonde tweed w/ oxblood grill
- Knobs: Vintage cream or black
- Negative Feedback: I can tweak the NFB a bit if you’d like a bit more clean headroom… or a bit less!
- Weber 10F150T speaker instead of the 12″ configuration.
Custom Options and Upgrades (Additional charges vary)
- NOS Tube Upgrade – Depending on availability, your amp can be built up and tuned with a partial selection or full complement of NOS or vintage tubes.
- NOS Resistor Upgrade – When available, I can build using NOS Allen-Bradley resistors in the signal path for the best carbon comps have to offer.
- Speaker of Choice – Just like it says. You want Alnico? Can do. You want an uber-clean ceramic-punching machine, or maybe a British-flavored driver? Sure thing. Maybe you already have a speaker and just need a kickass amp to pump into it? All options are on the table.
Get the best of the 1960s into your stable with the Secret Agent!